Musings of the Technical Bard

A place for me to expound on the issues of the day, including my proposals for how to FIX CANADA.

Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.technicalbard.com and update your bookmarks.

07 March 2006

The Worst Airport in the World?

OK,

I have returned from a vacation overseas and I would like to comment on my experience at Pearson International Airport...

I've travelled a fair bit, and can say that I was once again less that impressed by the quality of service provided by the GTAA. Considering their landing fees and other costs imposed on travellers are the highest in the world it is extremely disappointing.
  • The taxes and fees added to my ticket by the airlines for YYZ exceed those of the other three airports on the trip combined. And those other airports weren't minor places...
  • The layout of the terminals is poor compared to other airports around the world. the new Terminal 1 is an improvement but still has problems.
  • Once in the aircraft, why are we in a queue for three hours for deicing and takeoff? I've been through half a dozen other major airports during similar conditions and the delays are not that bad. FRA, LHR, CDG, DEN, ORD. Even smaller airports like YYC and YUL don't have such a terrible time when the weather goes bad.
  • Lack of sufficient washroom facilities, particularly in busy areas such the secure Customs areas. The washrooms shouldn't be queued up like it's intermission at Maple Leaf Gardens when four or more planeloads of people are coming off long international flights.
The only good thing I can say about YYZ is that the prices in the airport aren't as ridiculous as some airports (3.50 € for a 0.5 litre Coke is unbelievable).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YYZ must absolutely be avoided for flights to the US, especially if connecting in from somewhere else in Canada. Everytime I have gone through US Customs in Toronto, the booths are adequately staffed, but they are dreadfully slow at processing the travellers. The result is always an extremely long line up that doesn't move very fast. This further results in the airline folks calling travellers for certain flights to the front of the line. My last 3 or 4 times through there I have arrived 45 minutes to an hour before my flight and watched traveller after traveller behind me get called to the front until eventually I am so late I get called up also. The lesson that frequent travellers learn is that there is no point showing up early.

Even when they call you up to the front of the line, there is still no guarantee you are going to make your flight on time since you still have to go through security and, depending on your gate, a kilometer-plus walk (they actually have signs along the way stating how many hundred meters to the gate!).

It just seems to me that if they put more thought into the logistics of Terminal 2, they could reconfigure the traveller flows in a much more efficient manner. For example, if they put the security checkpoint before US Customs, travellers could get that step taken care of during their lengthy wait instead of after. I would also suggest that they have 2 or 3 security/customs entrance points so that travellers can arrive at a point closer to their gate rather than having to run a mile after security.

08 March, 2006 07:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home